Pages

google analytics

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Pissed at God

I've just finished reading the short book, How to Pray When You're Pissed at God (or anyone else for that matter) by Ian Punnett.

It's not what I would call a great book. But it is a good book. And while I think he overstates the scientific and psychological aspects of his claims, I don't disagree with him. It is perfectly acceptable to be pissed with God - biblical even.

I may not think it a great book (it's more of a devotional book, and I don't usually like devotional books), but I really like the following:

AN ANGRY PRAYER FOR A VICTIM OF LIES

Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause
against those who are spreading rumors about me;
rescue me from the deceitful and the wicked
who are strangling me with their lies.
i cry to you that I might be understood;
I ask you to bridge the gap between who you know I am
and what people are saying about me.
Please bring me home.

Those who were once my friends are content to make me miserable,
and you, O God, seem content to let this happen!
You are God, my stronghold. Will you reject me too?
Must I endure this oppression alone?

Send forth your light and your truth;
let them guide me;
let them bring me to your holy mountain,
to the place where you dwell,
so that I may feel that somebody understands me.
Tell me the words to say
to cut through the walls of lies that are imprisoning me.
Then will I go to the altar of God,
to God, my joy and my delight,
I will praise you with music,
O God, my God.

I tell my lonely soul, put your hope in the light and the truth of the Lord!
For I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
Amen.  (Punnett 79)


Punnet, Ian How To Pray when You're Pissed at God. New York, NY: Crown Publishing Group, 2013. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails