Pages

google analytics

Saturday, April 26, 2014

There Can Be No Retreat


Coward that I might be, I consider
the possibility of retreating from the
complexity of this great global market,
this world wide web of competing interests,
into a sort of Thoreau, Luddite, Unabomber existence,
looking for the unsullied purity of primitivism.

I might consider this retreat
except that it would be an inadequate cosmology;
it would be Galileo under house arrest.
It would be Einstein’s cosmological constant.

A butterfly working for fifteen cents an hour in China
causes a thunderstorm in New York.
These are the chaos patterns of fractal reality
that frustrate me. “Life should be simple,” I think
and, of course, I am wrong.

It’s a nostalgia for something that never existed.
The ‘good ole’ days’ when life was uncomplicated
are the fabrications of an unreliable memory.
One might as well try to live in a Thomas Kincaid painting.

The African mother dying of AIDs, the sex-trade boys in Bangkok,
the last of the Australian Aborigines, the Palestinian, the Persian, the Turk…

We’re all connected by innumerable,
invisible threads of causality.

I am my brothersister’s keeper.



1 comment:

  1. How well I identify with the idea of retreating within one's self! It would be so much simpler. So boring. And so damning.

    ReplyDelete

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails