Pages

google analytics

Thursday, October 24, 2013

God's Voice / Satan's Voice


I saw this picture being circulated on FB earlier today.  And while I don’t necessarily disagree with what I believe is the intent of this meme, I’m not entirely sure I agree with it. 

The implied binary division (God’s Voice / Satan’s Voice – Black / White – Good / Bad) doesn’t really hold up.  There are plenty of biblical verses and stories to demonstrate that those attributes assigned to Satan’s voice in this picture can also be attributed to God / Jesus / Holy Spirit.  I do not mean by this that I think God is Satan or that God is evil… just that memes like this are overly simplistic, not completely accurate, and not entirely helpful.






God's Voice:
Rushes you “Jesus told him, "What you are about to do, do quickly." John 13: 27
Pushes you - “At once, this same Spirit pushed Jesus out into the wild.” Mark 12: 22
Frightens you – “He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid…” Genesis 3:10
Confuses you – “Come, let us go down and there confuse their language…” Genesis 11: 7
Discourages you – “But now trouble comes to you, and you are discouraged…” Job 4: 7
Worries you – “Everywhere you go, God-sent fear and trembling will precede you…” Deuteronomy 11: 22
Obsesses you – “Then I said, ‘I will not make mention of Him, nor speak anymore in His name.’ But His word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, and I could not.” Jeremiah 20:9
Condemns you – “The one whom God condemns shall…” Exodus 22: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails