Pages

google analytics

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Thief in the Night Filmmaker Dead at 86


In the news today- Russell S. Doughten Jr. has died at the age of 86.  Maybe that name doesn’t mean much to you, but if you’re an Evangelical Christian in America, it’s likely that you’re familiar with some of his films – the most famous of which is A Thief in the Night (1972).

I don’t subscribe to Doughten’s rapture theology.  And his films scarred the pee out of me (quite literally, I assure you...) when I was young.  His intent was to lead people to Jesus by scaring the hell out of them (metaphorically) but he succeeded in only making me afraid of God.

I’ve been able to get over that fear – thank God – and have come to appreciate Doughten’s films, albeit in an ironic fashion.   May God bless Russel Doughten jr, and receive him into his glory.

Here is some music inspired by my reaction to Dougthen's work (and which includes Doughten himself...)



And here are two short films inspired, in part, by Doughten’s work.


The Sign of the Antichrist from jeff carter on Vimeo.




This is the Beginning of the End from jeff carter on Vimeo.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails