Pages

google analytics

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

If God Has Chosen the Weak and Foolish…


Consider:

If it is true, as it is so often claimed, that the United States of America is a Christian nation, founded on and guided by biblical principles,

and

If it is true that God  has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, (1 Corinthians 1:27)

then why do we continue to spend so much money on our military?  Why do we continue to invest in predator drones, attack helicopter, M1 Abrams tanks, and firearms and explosives of all caliber and variety?  Why do we strive so desperately to ensure that our military is strong and powerful?

If this is, after all a Christian nation, then shouldn’t we abandon those tools of power?  Shouldn’t we renounce the use of violence and force?  Shouldn’t we embrace weakness?

But, you will say, 'how would we defend ourselves and our interests?  This suggestion is foolishness.'

And I say, exactly so.



4 comments:

  1. "Living IN this world, not OF this world" is a hard place to get to. I've tried it in the past and it didnt work for me. I do not love violence, but I am good at it. I consider it my job to assist in ushering YOU, the mild, into heaven. If I am turned back, I will not be surprised for I have done some very despicable things in the name of protection.

    I honestly believe that we, as a people, will not "win" until ALL of us has crossed the finish line which changes us from kicking a gouging to get ahead, to reaching back and giving a hand up to the person behind you who is struggling.

    By the same token, we are weakening ourselves by coddling the weak. Those weak will procreate and create more weak to be coddled...there is no end to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In not Of is difficult, but I believe that as followers of the Christ we are called to side with the weak and poor and powerless- that is what the incarnation is all about, God coming alongside us in our frailty, become one of us in our weakness and humiliation and even in our death.

      To glory in our power is to, like Adam, to strive towards a godhood of our own making...

      Standing with and alongside the poor and weak shouldn't be coddling, though. If we all stand together, there is great strength in that unity.

      Delete
  2. It brings a tear to my eye to read that. I wish we were there. I so do. I'd give up a lot to have that be the case.

    I've give up all, to have that be the case. but it is not. Daily I have to throw my body in the way of spears and arrows meant for the weak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no greater love than that...

    ReplyDelete

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails