Pages

google analytics

Friday, November 30, 2012

Lippai - A Forgotten Christmas Carol

In my continued search for non-traditional, or forgotten traditional Christmas music, I have recently discovered the 19th century Austrian carol Lippai.

This is a short recording of me playing it on the Eb Bass (not a french horn).  I apologize for the click and clack  sounds in the recording.  I have an old horn and the valves make a lot of noise.



Lippai, get out of bed!
-No, I'm asleep.
There never was such a sleepy head
-Sleeping deep.
There is a glow in the night
From a great star shining bright!
See, it is bright as day!
-What did you say?

He's born in Bethlehem.
-How do you know?
The angels, I learned the place from them
-They told you so?
Mary, the blessed mother mild,
tenderly cares for her child
there, 'neath the beaming star
-Can it be far?

No sweeter, lovelier babe
could I name.
His bed nothing but a pile of hay.
-O what a shame!
Mary, if only I might
hold the dear savior tonight,
pure joy I'd owe to you.
-Please let me, too!

If you would like to download it, you can do so here.

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome. I'll probably record a couple more this season. Hopefully I can mute the valve noise a little.

    ReplyDelete

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails