Pages

google analytics

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Science Fiction Movies Make Me Cry

I never said this... and I'll deny it...
but I've been getting a little weepy in Sci-Fi movies lately.

It first happened a couple of years ago when I took my son to see the latest Star Trek movie.  In the opening moments of the film the Federation Starship USS Kelvin is investigating a lighting storm in space when it is attacked by a Romulan ship.  The Kelvin is critically damaged and first officer, Lt. Commander George Kirk, orders the crew (including his pregnant wife) to evacuate.  He remains aboard, sacrificing himself in order to save the others. Aboard the escaping shuttle-craft, his wife gives birth to their son, James Tiberius Kirk.

I glanced over to my (then 8 year old) son who was entranced by the spectacle on the screen.  He didn't notice his old man getting all teary-eyed in the theater.

Recently my family saw Men in Black III at the theater - another film with a father dying in order to save his son (and others...)  And wouldn't you know it? Theaters are dark so no one in my family noticed me wiping my cheeks.

And then tonight, as I sat on the couch at home, watching an episode of Star Trek -The Next Generation with my son.  The episode in question was The Bonding from season three - which focused individuals who had lost a parent.  I didn't have a dark theater this time, so I had to excuse myself to the kitchen for a moment.

Now, I'm not an overly sentimental person.  I'm not exactly Spock, but I'm neither am I overly emotionally demonstrative.  Perhaps that I why I tend to watch more Sci-Fi than Drama.... Sci-fi isn't about emotional stuff, right?  It's all laser beams and beautiful intergalactic women, and futuristic technology and explosions, lots of explosions.


I love my son.

And I'm glad to share a fondness for science-fiction with him.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails