Pages

google analytics

Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Psalm of the Pit and the Pendulum


I was sick unto death with that long agony”
said the somber eyed poet.
Thou hast put me in the lowest depths, in darkness
in deep dungeons of reoccurring trials.

I remember the trials, the judges, the accusations.
I remember the sentence.

Will your wonders show if I fail?
Will you be glorified if I fall?
Do the dead rise to face the blade again and again?

From my youth I’ve struggled
with these foes, faced these enemies
and I’ve begun to despair.


But I cry out, hoping for the
sudden arrival of your army
to invade this, my personal Toledo.








(based on E.A.Poe and Psalm 88)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails