Pages

google analytics

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What Makes Christian Art "Christian" ?

Here’s my question for today: What is it that makes Christian Art Christian?

Sometime ago I wrote the following poem based on a couple of verses from Psalm 91.

By the Speaking of this Charm

By the creative word
and his song,
by the speaking of this charm,

I will not fear the terrors of the night
or creatures prowling moon lit fog.
I will not shiver at their crossing
nor faint within their shade.


I will not fear the arrows that fly by day
though they, by their thousands,
should blot out the sun
and threaten to pierce and to skewer.


I will not fear the plague of night,
the stalking chemical burns,
and viral blasts that lurk
in dark corners and narrow alleyways.


I will not fear the noonday devil,
the scourge of havoc that
lets slip the dogs of war
for pillage, rape, and carrion feasts.


By the creative word
and by his song,
by the speaking of this charm
I will not fear.
This poem I submitted to A Flame in the Dark - “a website dedicated to horror, thriller, or suspense fiction from a biblical perspective. The stories we publish have a decidedly Christian slant, though we aim for fiction that isn't preachy or message-oriented.”

I thought my poem fit rather well with their mission statement, but this is the email I received from them:

Dear Jeff,
Thank you for your poetry submission to A Flame in the Dark. At this time, we will have to decline publication of your poem, "By the Speaking of this Charm."


Though it is well-written and interesting, we feel the work is at odds, or could be perceived as at odds, with our specific mission to uplift the Name of Christ.


Thank you, and God Bless!
Sincerely,
R--- S----
Editor
I’m at a loss as to what it is about my poem that is, or could be perceived as, at odds with their "specific mission to uplift the Name of Christ". Is it the word charm? Is it the word rape? Is it not Christian enough? What makes Christian art Christian?

I’m not particularly upset with the editors at A Flame in the Dark. Their magazine is their magazine and they are free to accept or decline as they choose. But I am befuddled by the idea that what I’ve written is, or could be perceived as, at odds with Christianity.


That’s ridiculous.

One of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors happens to be on this very topic. Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeline L’Engle. I encourage everyone to read it. Especially the good folks at A Flame in the Dark. (Did I say that out loud?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails