Pages

google analytics

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tom Waits: Singing for the Least of These - a teaser

As I have mentioned, I am preparing a presentation for next weekend. I'll be one of the speakers at Truth Voice 2010 - a theology conference in Dayton, Ohio.  I was invited to speak last year, and now again this year, and I really am quite pleased to have been invited. I still stand in awe of the other presenters.  I've learned quite a bit from their writings and essays and books and what not.  I'm not always convinced that I should be standing with them.


I've nearly finished writing out my presentation.  There are a few places that need some elaboration, and I need to finish up the slide show that will accompany my speech. And I need to practice some of the songs.  Yep. I'm going to bring my guitar and play a few songs as part of my presentation.
Tom Waits: Singing for the Least of These...

I'm exploring some of the spiritual and theological issues in the music and lyrics of Tom Waits - that incorrigible dreamer and inveterate realist.  I'm going to talk about how his music reflects a very human reality and a deep abiding hope for the presence of God. And I'm going to sing.
You can't "talk" about music.  You gotta' sing it.



This isn't one of the songs that I'll be discussing, but it's one of my favorite.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails